There is a lot of conflicting information about nutrition out there, so I am going to keep this simple and give you 10 nutritional nuggets that will definitely help you to eat well, be healthy and help you to gain Mastery in your eating:
- Eat protein with every meal. This can be meat, or beans, or pulses or eggs. But make sure to do this. Protein is essential in building muscle, hair, your eyes, nails, all parts of your body. If you work out regularly and want to build mass, you may wish to have a higher protein intake.
- Drink 2 litres of water every day. No excuses. Your hair, nails, skin, as well as every process in your body needs lots of water. Prioritise water over juice or fizzy drinks.
- Eat oily fish at least once per week. These are very high in omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential to our bodies, but which they cannot produce.
- Eat 5-10 fruits and vegetables per day, of different colours, to get lots of different vitamins and minerals.
- Do not eat junk food more than in small amounts. It is just rubbish. Your body does not need all that sugar, processed fat and salt.
- Have one meal a week where you can have whatever you want. This is important, as if you are working out regularly and eating well every day, that uses a lot of willpower. Having a weekly unhealthy meal, allows you to enjoy your food and reminds you that there are no limits on your eating; you are just choosing to eat very well the vast majority of the time.
- Cook from scratch, as often as possible. Do not buy ready meals or eat take aways regularly, they can’t compete with the satisfaction of home-made cooking made with love!
- Feel good about yourself and the food that you eat. Do not waste time feeling bad about food and food choices. Do the best that you can with what you have, and when you know more and can make better choices, then do that.
- Learn to cook. Start small. Get curious about food and find out what you like to eat, as well as what you do not.
- Be careful to not over or under eat. An average woman needs 1600-2000 calories a day, depending on how active she is. A man needs 1800-2500, again, depending on how active he is. If you are working out regularly with intensity, make sure you are eating enough good food. Equally, if you are currently quite inactive, you do not need to eat quite as much.
These 10 nutritional nuggets have really helped me in my eating, to be happy, healthy and full of energy in my life. I sincerely hope that they can help you too.
Week 3 Day 2 Actions
Keep a food journal for a week. Be completely honest and write down exactly what you eat for a week. Read it regularly and see what you can notice.
Eat well and be happy,